Friday, June 21, 2013

Presenting the S.U.R.E. Research, or "Web-2.0-ception!

Research Presentation - The (Web 2.0) Tools I Used and the Overall Experience

Recently, I created and presented a 15-minute summary of the S.U.R.E. Research - Facilitating Active Learning With Web 2.0 Technology
Now that's a long name - although as I showed this to my friends before presenting, and we decided to nickname it Web-2.0-ception (taking a tip from the movie Inception). We realized that there were so many uses of Web 2.0 within the Prezi visual that I had made, so the name was only fitting. You can access it below. Clicking the title will open it in another window so you can look back here as I explain the major ideas. Use Google Chrome and Internet Explorer for best viewing.



I. Introduction/Definition
The first part of this presentation is an introduction to the S.U.R.E. team, a short description of the research highlights, and letting the audience know what Web 2.0 technology is with a Wordle.

II.  Rationale
We performed this research because there are teachers not familiar with what Web 2.0 really means. In addition, they do not have access to the technology in schools even though they agree that technology in the classroom is beneficial to students. I inserted the graphs created with Google Forms and edited them with Microsoft Paint.

III.  Origin of Web 2.0
 This section is a timeline that highlights a few major developments in Web 2.0's history, beginning with cloud computing and ending with the release of the iPad.

IV. Types and Uses
Here I discuss Edmodo, Content Acquisition Podcasts, efolios, and wikis. I also show the implementation of a Web 2.0 tool, Microsoft Photo Story 3. The reason for this is to show that even though I had never heard of it before, I taught myself to use it, and it was relatively easy to use. I briefly discuss an infographic that I found about flipped learning, then include teacher testimonials from our survey to show the audience that teachers are engaging their audience with these tools.

V. Interview With An Elementary Teacher
An elementary school teacher was gracious enough to provide me with an interview. I discuss with pictures what kinds of Web 2.0 are in her classroom, such as the Elmo document projector and the SMART Board. I learned that she uses BrainPop videos to engage the class, Google Drive to create documents and spreadsheets, and SMART Exchange to see what valuable resources she can implement in her lesson plans from other teachers. (A video statement from the teacher is provided that I edited in Windows Live Movie Maker.)

VI. Future Expectations for Web 2.0 in the Classroom
By discussing what training teachers would like and how many hours they would prefer to spend on Web 2.0, I conclude by letting everyone know how much teachers support technology in the classroom. I show the types of Web 2.0 teachers would like with a word cloud from ABCya! and wrap up the major points in our research.

VII. Resources
Here I simply list all of the resources I used or mentioned in the presentation. There are a lot. I also make sure to thank all of my collaborators for their help with all aspects of my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment